Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Doctor's Visits

This month seems to have been the month for doctor's visits.  We have been scared, anxious, nervous, relieved, disappointed, etc.  I will do my best to chronologically log the visits and what occurred at each of them.

January 11th - This was just a routine visit.  This is the second visit that my blood pressure was elevated.  I discussed this with my doctor, and he said unfortunately, there was not much I could do to lower it.  He did, however, schedule me to come back the next week.

January 17th - This visit was actually with the office's midwife so I could meet her.  During the preliminary checks, before going back the nurse asked about my swelling as they always do.  I told her that I am always swollen.  She felt of my legs and then checked my blood pressure.  My blood pressure was quite elevated so they put me in a room laying on my left side with a monitor on to make sure the baby was not in any stress.  They had me like that for about 45 minutes.  The baby was fine and my blood pressure went down.  However, they felt the need to pursue this a bit further just to be safe.  First, they took me out of working from the office.  I am to work from home until the baby comes so I can get my feet up and get more rest.  Second, they sent me home with a bucket to collect my urine for the next 24 hours so it can be analyzed for protein levels.  They are looking to make sure I do not have preeclampsia.  The worst part of this bucket is it has to be kept refridgerated.  Good thing we have that little fridge downstairs.

January 18th - I had to go back to the doctor to return my bucket of urine and have some vials of blood drawn.  All I could do at that point is cross my fingers.  I am nervous and anxious at this point.

January 19th - Back to the doctor...that's 3 days in one week if you are keeping count!   My blood pressure was 144/84 and there was no signs of protein on the urine dipstick test.  I was told to continue to rest.  Dr. Lonergan set me up to come back on Monday and wanted me to bring Jonathan to discuss labor signs and to go over the test results.  If the urine analysis shows protein in my urine, we would then discuss the option of induction.

January 23rd - Jonathan and I went to the doctor not knowing what to expect.  We talked about me going into the hospital on the way there, but hoped that everything would just come back normal.  We went in and went through the routine checks and then went into the doctor's actual office.  There we discussed my blood pressure and the test results.  My blood pressure was down and all the tests came back normal.  All that meant there was no reason to induce me at this time.  We talked about the signs to look for to indicate the beginning of labor.  Then the doctor told us to feel free to go into labor at anytime.

After the doctor visit, Jonathan and I went to Babies R Us to pick up the rest of the items we needed.  As soon as we got in the car, we started talking about what we might be able to take back.  I just want to make sure we need the items we are buying and not just spending money.

January 29th - Jonathan and I went and finally toured the hospital.  The head nurse, Sandy Davis, was so nice and walked us through everything.  Piedmont Newnan is an older hospital and the rooms are a bit small, so there will be a bit of crowd control going on, but it will be fun.

January 31st - For this doctor's appointment, I actually loaded the bag in the Jeep just in case.  My theory is they can send me across the street to the hospital at any time if my blood pressure spikes again.  I am now 38 weeks and 4 days.  Luckily, my blood pressure remained stable at 146/82.  The doc did say he felt she was dropping, so that is good news.  My next appointment is Monday, February 6th.  When I called Jonathan to tell him there was no trip to the hospital today, he was so disappointed.  I think he is just ready for her to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment