Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Jonathan's Reaction

The night that Candi's water broke was a rather non-eventful night.  We had been laying around watching a little television and had gotten in to the bed around 1130.  She woke me up and after several attempts to get her to leave me alone she finally convinced me that it was go time so I hopped up to pack my bag and get ready to head to the hospital.  Even though that it was four in the morning I called my mom to let her know that we were en route to the hospital.  She was as thrilled as anyone could be at four am, but I knew that once she finally digested it she would be a little more excited.

As Candi and I were driving down the road to Newnan, I just ran my mouth about anything and everything to try and keep my mind off of what was truly about to go down.  Over the past few weeks we had talked about how we couldn’t wait to meet Drew.  I had made jokes that I wanted her to come out as ugly as me so I wouldn’t have to worry about anyone wanting to date her for a long time.  I had also said that everything was good and well while she was still inside of mommy.  I couldn’t screw anything up as long as she was in there.

We get to the hospital and they take Candi back to get her checked in, changed in to her gown and hooked up to all of the different monitors so we can keep a safe eye on Drew.  All of this takes almost an hour so at this point all I can do is think about everything that I was trying to avoid thinking about on the way there.  As all of these questions went racing through my head, I began to think that I will find the answers in due time.  No need worrying about things that I cannot control from here and realize that every single day is going to be a learning process.

Over the next twenty hours or so, I feel like Candi and I became closer than we had ever been in the past eight years that we had been together.  It hurts ones heart in such a way that hopefully Drew will never know.  To sit there and watch the one that you love the most going through such pain and knowing that there is nothing that you can do take any of that pain away is one of the toughest things that I have ever had to do in my life.  The only thing that I could do is be there and do whatever she would ask of me with the thought of having both of my girls home safely in a few days to being what would be the best chapter of my life.

To spare many of the details of the next few hours, Candi and I did everything that we had to in order to make sure that we had a healthy baby.  When all was over and Drew was finally out in the world, I cut her cord and the nurse took her away, all that was left to do was to fight back a tear and be strong and tell Candi that I loved her.  We shared a moment together until we realized that everything was a little too quiet in our room.  At that point I stepped over to see what the nurse was doing to Drew just moments before she gave her a shot and set her off.  To hear her scream at the top of her lungs after that was the happiest sound I had ever heard in my entire life.  At that point I knew down in my heart that Drew was going to be just fine.

I was there when Drew got her first bath and watched the nurses run a few more tests on her just to make sure she was as good as I thought that she was.  All was great in the world at that moment when she said that Drew was a healthy baby.  At that point I went back to be at Candi's side as we were being moved from one room to another.  That night after being up many hours once I was finally able to lay down and sleep,  I dreamed of what our life together was going to be like.  I woke up the next morning very excited to see if all of my dreams will come true…..well the first one has and that is I will get to spend the rest of my life with my baby girl.




~ Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment