Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A New Kind of Happiness

May 2012

Recently, I watched "What to Expect When You Are Expecting."  Cute movie.  Loved the way they portrayed different types of coming into parenthood.  Yet, still it is just what it is...a movie.

Anyway, thre is a line said by a dad:  "Welcome to where happiness ends" or something to that effect.  I have heard this so many times:  about parenthood, marriage, engagements, etc.  And even as I am watching my 3 month daughther sleep, I have to confess -- I believe that statement to be true.  Happiness does somewhat end at each of these occurances.  Let me explain.

Happiness is a very subjective term.  It means different things to different people.  Heck, it means different things to the same person at different phases of their life.  Happiness is ever changing and evolving to meet a person's life at that very moment.  What made me happy 15, 10, 5 years ago may or may not make me happy today.  And I know that everything I knew about happiness has changed.  Three months and nine days ago, at 11:53pm, happiness, as I knew it, was gone.

The happiness that I believe in now could never have existed in my mind before that time.  This happiness could have only come with the birth of my first child.  And if that event had never happened, I would have continued to live thinking that my prior happiness was all I needed...and I would have been right.

So, I just need to remember to grasp today's happiness, because it will one day end, only to be replaced by a different kind of unknown happiness. 

Today, this is what my happiness looks like.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment