Sunday, September 9, 2012

1st Day of Daycare

May 14, 2012

May 14th was Drew's first day at day care.  After 13 wonderful weeks, I had to go back to work at the office. 

I took her in, unloaded all her stuff, spoke with her teacher, gave her lots of hugs and kisses, and then I was on my way.  As I was walking out the door, the front desk lady handed me an envelope.  I assumed it was some Welcome letter or something of the sort so I didn't look at it at first.

I made it to the sidewalk before I started crying.  I cried all the way to my parked car.  I just sat there for a moment trying to get myself together.  It was then that I really looked at the envelope.  The letter was not from the daycare at all.  It was a letter from Jonathan to me. 

Candi,

Did you ever really do the math from the time that our daughter was born until she would be going to daycare?  I know you didn't but that is what I am here for, I am the numbers guy.  It has been thirteen whole weeks and somehow you got an extra week out of the office.  Ninety-five days ago we were blessed with the most beautiful gift in the world.  Even though I had made my jokes about how I wished she would come out looking like me, beard and all, so hopefully I would never have to deal with her dating.  Well apparently I'm being forced to learn that what I want will very seldom matter anymore.  I could not ask for a better friend and lover to me or a better mother for our daughter.  There are no words  that can describe our appreciation and no amount of money that could possibly make up for the things that you do for the both of us.  I know that my time with Drew flew by and before I knew it three weeks had passed and I had to return to work.


That brings us to the present time, you sitting in your car after dropping her off at daycare for the first time and reading this letter.  I know that this is much harder on you than it is for me.  Scientific research shows that it only takes twenty-one days to form a habit so your time is ticking until you are okay and comfortable with this.  You just need to remember that we have done our research and made the decision that we found to be best for us.  We went to four different daycares and this is the one that made the cut.  We know that she is in good hands and that everything is going to be fine, we just have to remember that.  So now is the time that you need to  take a deep breath and count to ten because the show must go on.  Remember my old saying, "If your life were a movie, would anyone want to watch it?"  Well now is the time that we must go out and get two thumbs up and five stars baby.  Now we hae the star for our show that we never knew we needed.


Well it is now time to put that car in drive and head down the road so you can put about four hours of actual work in during an eight hour day.  The time will fly by so quickly that five will be here before you know it and you will be on your way home.  I hope you have a fantastic day at work and best of luck to ya'll in trivia tonight.  We love you more than you may ever know.


Love, Daddy


P.S. Can you add up all those red numbers real quick for me?  171


Now look in your glove box and you will find that many kisses from Drew and I to help you get through the day.


Well, of course this sweet letter just made me cry harder.  But it also reminded me of all the reasons why I chose Jonathan - to be my best friend, my lover, and now the father to our child.  He knows just what to do at the times when I need it most. 

I made it through the day, got to leave work a bit early, and gave Drew and extra long hug when I picked her up.

I still carry this letter in my pocketbook.  I like to read it from time to time.  It always makes me tear up, but at the same time a smile comes through.  That smile is in anticipation of our future together with our new "star".

No comments:

Post a Comment